There are also five small parcels in four other counties: one piece of land in the southern district of Benzonia, Benzie County; two lots in south helena Township, County Antrim; land in the eastern township, large county of Traverse; and land southwest of Eveline Township in Charlevoix County. The total area of the reserve and trust lands outside the reserve is 2,539 km² (0.9804 sq mi or 627.46 acres (2.5392 km2). The total resident population of the census in 2000 was 545 people, 80 percent of whom were identified as all-American natives. The current main reserve and service area of six counties consist of the counties of Antrim, Benzie, Charlevoix, Grand Traverse, Leelanau and Manistee. The group`s national base is approximately 1,100 acres (4.5 km2) spread over the entire service area and has a total of 3,985 members. About 1,610 live in the tribal areas. Among the water resources within the 1855 reservation were Grand Traverse Bay, michigan`s eastern shore, Lake Leelanau, Lake Elk Lake and their watersheds. Other important natural resources are unbuilt woodlands and traditional and cultural hunting, fishing and harvesting areas. The territory of the Grand Traverse Band of the Ottawa and Chippewa Indians is the Grande Traverse Indian Reservation (45°01′13″N 85°36′22″W / 45.02028°N 85.60611°W / 45.02028; -85.60611), founded on May 27, 1980 by the United States Minister of the Interior and comprising lands acquired by the group. The Grand Traverse Band contract, which ceded territories under the 1836 treaty, covers an area from the Grande Rivière to the Alpine region to the north and the eastern part of the Upper Chocolay Peninsula to the east. The majority (nearly 55 percent) of the reservation`s territory is in several non-contiguous terrestrial areas in eastern Suttons Bay Township in Leelanau County, Michigan.
The Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians is a state-recognized Indian tribe in northwestern Michigan on the Leelanau Peninsula. Sam McClellan is the current tribal president elected for a four-year term in June 2016, after succeeding Al Pedwaydon, who served from 2012 to 2016. . .